In the largest city in the Arab world, and at one of the most prestigious centers for Arabic studies in the Middle East, join us in Cairo to study and enhance your modern standard and Egyptian Arabic language skills, while exploring the history of one of the oldest civilizations on earth. In Egypt, you will never run of out of rich cultural activities and meaningful opportunities to practice your language.
Immerse yourself in Cairo, the vibrant fascinating city where ancient history and modern life meet. Enjoy the old town of Cairo, sail down the River Nile on a felucca watching the sunset, enjoy the sound and light show by the great pyramids of Giza, and visit the newest capitals of Egypt.
Master the Arabic calligraphy and learn to cook Egyptian meals with a local chef.
Enjoy the most beautiful beaches of the Mediterranean and Red Seas and visit several sites of historic significance.
- Available credit(s): 6-9 credits
- Applicants are required to enroll in two of the program courses (Undergraduate)
- Please consult with your Faculty Director and Academic Advisor to determine course enrollment
- Courses are subject to change
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
EXCURSIONSSome activities are free, whereas others are at an additional cost to the student. Some excursions will not be included in the billable program cost. Students will be able to opt into excursions on-site. Possible excursions may include:
- All major historic sites of Cairo & Giza cities (Great pyramids of Giza, The Sphinx, The Grand Egyptian museum, Islamic and Coptic old Cairo)
- River Nile Sailing and Cairo Opera house music concert
- Alexandria and Rosetta (Rashid) Cities
- El-Alamein city (Historic WWII site)
LEARNING ABROAD BADGESIn addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program and receive special recognition at graduation.
This program automatically earns the Language Immersion Badge:
- As part of the program, students concentrate on improving language skills and understanding the interaction between culture and language.
- Students will have the opportunity to practice using these skills in a variety of authentic and challenging settings.
- Please contact Shereen Salah for more information about this opportunity.
- Shereen Salah
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information