Faculty will lead students through coursework at the Ensign College of Public Health in Ghana. This program is part of an integrated pathway offered through the Honors College. Students will use science, health, and the humanities to critically think about health in context. The program will address gender-specific health issues in sub-Saharan Africa, with specific attention to HIV, substance use, and mental health, along with the application of mixed methods to understand health behavior and develop culturally salient interventions.
The Program has prerequisite coursework prior to the summer Program. Students participating in this Program are required to apply separately for the Honors Health in Context Pathway.
- Available credits: 12 credits
- Applicants are required to enroll in the program courses
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
- Possible excursions may include:
- Elephant safari in Mole National Park
- Larabanga Mosque
- Cape Coast
- Elmina Slave Castle tour
- Kakum canopy walk
- Volta dam tour and river exploration
- Boti Falls
- Wli Falls
- Cedi beads
- Coconut grove beach resort
- Shai Hills resource reserve
- Accra Arts Center
- Local markets
- Other excursions involving culture, trade, and economy
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
Students participating on this Program can earn Learning Abroad Badges through independent options
. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program
and receive special recognition at graduation.
- Steve Alder, Ph.D.
- Jill Stephenson
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
The Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.