In an effort to make passports available to more students, the Office for Global Engagement (OGE) and Learning Abroad have partnered with CIEE, one of the U’s vetted affiliate learning abroad providers, to bring their Passport Caravan to the University of Utah. As part of CIEE’s Generation Study Abroad initiative, they’ve pledged to provide 10,000 students across the country with passports by 2020. Learning Abroad has been accepted to host the Passport Caravan and together with CIEE will provide 100 passports to U of U students
who will be first-time passport holders.
Selection of recipients will be based on the strength of their essay, GPA, and demonstrated financial need. Students must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Utah in good academic standing during the 2019-2020 Academic Year
- Be a first-time U.S. passport holder
- Demonstrated financial need (as determined by the FAFSA and the U of U Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid)
- Make sure that your FAFSA or any other financial aid paperwork is up to date when you apply
- Pell Grant recipients are strongly encouraged to apply
- U.S. citizen
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Late scholarship applications will NOT be accepted. Passport Caravan Scholarship recipients are NOT required to participate in a Learning Abroad program.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD AMOUNTS
The scholarship will cover the costs of an adult passport, including the execution fee ($35.00) and fee to the U.S. Department of State ($110.00). Two passport photos will also be provided by Learning Abroad.
Students who receive this scholarship and who learn abroad are encouraged to participate in Learning Abroad volunteer activities, such as volunteering at the Learning Abroad Fair. Please note: not participating in the Learning Abroad Volunteer Activities will not revoke your scholarship.