Join the David Eccles School of Business for the 2019 Spring semester innovation in South America Learning Abroad Program. This program is unique, as it is the University of Utah’s only semester-long study abroad program where students are taught by U of U faculty and receive U of U credits. In addition to earning a Certificate in Entrepreneurship, you will have the opportunity to explore Chile, travel to Patagonia, spend spring break in Buenos Aires, Argentina and visit Cusco and Machu Picchu in Peru.
Students will be assigned to a startup team tasked with co-creating a digital innovation. You will create collateral and deliverables, and learn the basic skills required to launch a new venture. Limited seats so apply now!
And oh, did we mention? It will be summer in Chile while it will be winter in Utah!
- Applicants are required to enroll in the program courses
- Courses are subject to change
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
During the Spring you will take the following 15 credit hours and participate in hands-on experiential learning to become a real inventor, innovator and entrepreneur:
- ENTP 1010: Entrepreneurship & Society (Fulfills Behavioral Sciences General Education Requirement)
- ENTP 1020: Entrepreneurship & the Scientific Method (Fulfills Applied Sciences General Education Requirement)
- ENTP 2010: Entrepreneurial Marketing
- ENTP 2020: Entrepreneurial Finance
- DES 2615: Intro to Design Thinking (Fulfills Fine Arts General Education Requirement)
*You will need to take 2 other courses (a total of 3 credit hours) in the preceding Fall semester, and following Summer semester to complete your certificate:
- BUS/UGS/HON 3050: Innovation Roadmap
- BUS/UGS/HON 3051: Innovation Scholar Portfolio
You will also have the opportunity to complete an internship with an international company.
- Possible excursions may include:
- Buenos Aires, Argentina - Nxtp.labs Company Visit, Tango Dinner and Perfomance, Boca Juniors Stadium/Museum, Caminito
- Cusco and Machu Picchu, Peru
- Patagonia, Chile - Torres del Paine, Punta Arenas
- Santiago, Chile - Presidential Palace, Startup Chile, Museum of Memory and Human Rights,
- Vina del Mar, Chile
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program and receive special recognition at graduation.
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
The Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.