DESCRIPTIONFor the duration of the program, students will take the roles of full-time researchers (comparable to graduate students) in one of several participating research groups at the Chemistry Department of the Braunschweig University of Technology. Students will work on a research project under the mentorship of the group leader and senior group members.
This Program is planned to run again in Summer 2022.
- Available credit(s): 3-6 credits
- Applicants are required to enroll in the program course (Undergraduate)
- Courses are subject to change
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program and receive special recognition at graduation.
- Career Development:
- Participants will learn how to work effectively in international research teams, communicate their work, and adapt to new professional environments.
- Participants have the opportunity to expand their professional network and forge crucial relationships with their research mentors at Braunschweig. These relationships can prove invaluable for the participant's career (letters of rec, future Ph.D. and postdoc positions, career advice, etc.).
- Research experience at a world-class University in Germany will stand out on resumes and in job interviews.
- Research Experience:
- Participants will engage in 12 weeks of chemistry research in one of several participating research groups at the University of Technology Braunschweig.
- Participants will choose a research project together with their mentor, take responsibility for planning and conducting the research, and present their results in group meetings.
- Participants have the opportunity to expand their research portfolio and gain valuable new lab skills.
- Michael Gruenwald, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Department of Chemistry
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOKThe Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.
This is a fantastic program. It gives you a chance to experience life as a graduate student (as you are fully immersed in research), but you still have plenty of time to travel. 10/10 would recommend.
This program was an amazing experience. It allowed me to do fascinating research as well as experience a different culture. I had no previous German Language experience before I went abroad, and that was just fine for this program. My lab colleagues and the friends I made there took it upon themselves to teach me some German and that inspired in me a new fascination for the German Language that I am turning into a minor. Your work schedule is very flexible depending on which lab you choose, but everyone who was in the program with me had time to travel and see more of Europe (which I highly recommend taking advantage of!). I would definitely encourage any chemistry student striving to expand their research and cultural horizons to spend a summer in this program.
This program is a great research opportunity to see what are some of the scientific work and approaches that are being done in other parts of the world. It also allows you to explore a different place, make new friends and memories that can be cherished for life! It has personally changed me for the better while prepared me for the next step in my career and education path.