WHAT IS A GLOBAL INTERNSHIP?
A Global Internship is a Learning Abroad Program that provides unique workplace experiences abroad. Global Internships are coordinated by one of our Affiliates – partner organizations that have been evaluated and approved by the University of Utah. Through direct relationships with companies, organizations, and governments in the host country, our Affiliates can connect you with your ideal internship opportunity. Internships are available in both English and the host language, depending on your preference. Many Affiliates provide helpful services such as visa support, housing, knowledgeable on-site staff to help you navigate your host country, and cultural field trips and excursions.
WHY CHOOSE A GLOBAL INTERNSHIP?
Global Internships are immensely beneficial to your personal, academic and professional goals. While participating on a Global Internship, you can develop valuable skills such as:
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Project Management Experience
- Time Management
- Flexibility & Adaptability in unexpected or challenging situations
- Foreign Language Proficiency
Global Internships are an invaluable addition to your academic career at the U – take advantage of this opportunity to prepare for your professional career!
APPLYING TO A GLOBAL INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
- Complete Learning Abroad 101. This is a short information session about programs, applications, financial aid, and scholarships. You can complete Learning Abroad 101 in-person or online.
- Submit your Applications. You will submit TWO Applications for this Program. These Applications can be completed at the same time.
- U of U Application- Click Apply Now at the top of your screen to get started and submit the Initial Payment.
- Affiliate Application- Click on the Homepage link above to find your Affiliate Application. Contact the Affiliate if you have questions.
- Commit to your U of U Application. You will receive an acceptance email to your Umail account. Log into your U of U Application and Commit to your Program within 3 business days of acceptance!
- Upload your Affiliate Acceptance Letter. When you receive your acceptance letter from the Affiliate, upload a copy in your U of U Application.
- Complete the Post-Decision Steps. Finish the Post-Decision steps in your U of U Application by the deadlines provided.
ACADEMICS & ACCOMMODATION
DATES & TRANSPORTATION
- TENTATIVE dates are listed above. Compare the dates to the University of Utah academic calendar to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- You are responsible for arranging transportation to and from the host country for most Programs.
- Do NOT purchase your flight until you read the instructions in the Learning Abroad Handbook.
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
Students enrich their time abroad by earning Learning Abroad Badges such as:
This Program is eligible for the Badges listed in the Fact Sheet above. Some Programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options. If you earn Badges during your Program, you may be eligible to receive a co-curricular certificate through the Global U Program.
This program is eligible for the Career Development Badge:
- As part of the program, students develop an understanding of the relationship between culture and the workplace by engaging in professional experiences with local agencies and companies.
- This provides excellent insight into your career, gives you a global context for your field of study, and offers hands-on experience that can be highlighted on resumes and during job interviews.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid may be available! Visit our Financial Aid and Scholarships page for more information!
- Information about Program Costs, Billing timelines & Due Dates are available to help you plan. Budget Sheets are also available for the following terms: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- Affiliate Program Fees (non-billable) are established by the Affiliate and are in addition to any fees paid to the University of Utah. These fees are paid in lieu of University of Utah on-campus tuition and housing costs. Click on the homepage link above for more information on Affiliate fees and inclusions.
- Read the full Withdrawal & Dismissal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying.
- Program advising is available through our Learning Abroad Coordinators.
- You will automatically be assigned to a Coordinator when you start your U of U Application. Coordinators are assigned based on your major.
- You must complete Learning Abroad 101 before meeting with a Coordinator.
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
Interested in learning more about the academic, financial, and logistical aspects of our Programs? The Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's financial, disciplinary, administrative, academic, and logistical expectations. You’ll find videos, tips, and resources that help you make the most of your experience before, during, and after your Program.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
It is your responsibility to read, understand, and adhere to the terms and conditions of your Program. Terms and conditions are outlined in the Learning Abroad Handbook, Learning Abroad website, and in your Program Application. Terms and conditions may also be communicated to you through digital, verbal, and hard copy communication. Contact Learning Abroad with any questions or concerns.