- NMMU is rooted in a country where the First and Developing Worlds converge. At this crossroads, new knowledge, innovation and relevant research merge to illuminate the path to sustainable development for Africa. Students will be privy to a unique African experience.
- Summer programs available in Environmental Studies, Community Service, Community Service Learning, Conflict Management and Transformation, Human Rights, and South African History, Culture & Language.
- NMMU is located in Port Elizabeth, which is known as the "Watersport Capitol of Africa."
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University is the only one in South Africa to offer fully-fledged game drives on its own nature reserve
- Summer School Information (Click on the Homepage link above)
APPLYING TO AN AFFILIATE PROGRAM
- Complete Learning Abroad 101. This is a short information session about programs, applications, financial aid, and scholarships. You can complete Learning Abroad 101 in-person or online.
- Submit your Applications. You will submit TWO Applications for this Program. These Applications can be completed at the same time.
- U of U Application- Click Apply Now at the top of your screen to get started and submit the Initial Payment.
- Affiliate Application- Click on the Homepage link above to find your Affiliate Application. Contact the Affiliate if you have questions.
- Commit to your U of U Application. You will receive an acceptance email to your Umail account. Log into your U of U Application and Commit to your Program within 3 business days of acceptance!
- Upload your Affiliate Acceptance Letter. When you receive your acceptance letter from the Affiliate, upload a copy in your U of U Application.
- Complete the Post-Decision Steps. Finish the Post-Decision steps in your U of U Application by the deadlines provided.
ACADEMICS & ACCOMMODATION
- Courses and accommodation are organized by the Affiliate program: (Click on the Homepage link above)
- Credits earned through a U of U Affiliate Program will be transfer credits
- See the Learning Abroad Handbook, for information about Course Pre-Approval for transfer credits
- Participants are required to maintain full-time status (the equivalent of 12 U.S. American Credits) at the University of Utah (fall and spring semesters ONLY)
- Find TENTATIVE program dates above
- Participants are responsible for arranging travel to and from the host country for most programs
- Participants should wait to purchase airfare until they have been officially instructed by the Faculty Director, Program Provider, and/or Host University
- Participants should compare the program dates to the University of Utah academic calendar
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program and receive special recognition at graduation.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid may be available! Visit our Financial Aid and Scholarships page for more information!
- Information about Program Costs, Billing timelines & Due Dates are available to help you plan. Budget Sheets are also available for the following terms: Fall, Academic Year, Calendar Year, Spring, and Summer. Additional fees may apply for global internships activities. Contact your Learning Abroad Coordinator for more information.
- Affiliate Program Fees (non-billable) are established by the Affiliate and are in addition to any fees paid to the University of Utah. These fees are paid in lieu of University of Utah on-campus tuition and housing costs. Click on the homepage link above for more information on Affiliate fees and inclusions.
- Read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying.
- Program advising is available through our Learning Abroad Coordinators.
- You will automatically be assigned to a Coordinator when you start your U of U Application. Coordinators are assigned based on your major.
- You must complete Learning Abroad 101 before meeting with a Coordinator.
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
Interested in learning more about the academic, financial, and logistical aspects of our Programs? The Learning Abroad Handbook
outlines the University of Utah's financial, disciplinary, administrative, academic, and logistical expectations. You’ll find videos, tips, and resources that help you make the most of your experience before, during, and after your Program.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
It is your responsibility to read, understand, and adhere to the terms and conditions of your Program. Terms and conditions are outlined in the Learning Abroad Handbook, Learning Abroad website, and in your Program Application. Terms and conditions may also be communicated to you through digital, verbal, and hard copy communication. Contact Learning Abroad with any questions or concerns.