Sharing Learning Abroad experiences can benefit the participant, as well as prospective Learning Abroad students. Scholarship applicants are selected on the quality and creativity of a sample blog or vlog post that must be submitted at the time of application
. Please note that a maximum of two students will be chosen per location/Learning Abroad Program. Social Media Scholarship recipients will share their stories using blogs, vlogs, tweets, and Instagram while abroad. Available for every term. Students will be required to create a new blog account that conforms to the Utah Abroad Blogger guidelines on the Learning Abroad website.
UTAH ABROAD BLOGGER GUIDELINES
- Visit tumblr.com
- Students must create a NEW account
- Enter an email, password, and username, then click "Sign up"
- Follow the Tumblr prompts to create your blog
- Make sure to keep the Optica theme
- Create a title for your Blog
- Provide the Tumblr URL in your scholarship application
- Send the public link--make sure you are not logged in as the owner (Example: http://username.tumblr.com)
- Make sure content is appropriate
- Inappropriate content will result in disqualification of your blog
- Use proper citation and provide photo and content credit
- Remember to spell check!
SOCIAL MEDIA & OUTREACH PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
As part of the scholarship, recipients are required to submit social media content over the course of their program. Recipients are welcome to submit as much content as they like. However, at a minimum, recipients are required contribute the required number of posts depending on the length of program:
||Snapchat Story Takeover
|Less than 15 Days
|15 Days - 8 Weeks
|More than 8 Weeks
- Start an online Learning Abroad Program application at www.learningabroad.utah.edu before submitting your scholarship application
- Note: You do not need to be accepted into a program before submitting your scholarship application
- Be a degree-seeking University of Utah student on the scholarship deadline and when the award is disbursed
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA at the time of application
- Earn academic credit on your program
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawfully present non-U.S. citizen
- Be accepted for and ultimately participate in a program listed at www.learningabroad.utah.edu
- Complete the training program for Learning Abroad Social Media Contributors
- Successfully fulfill the terms of the social media and outreach project
The following students are NOT eligible for this scholarship:
- Students who are currently taking classes at the U Asia Campus
- Students applying for a Global Campus Program
Late scholarship applications will NOT
be accepted. Hinckley Global Interns are NOT eligible for this scholarship.
SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINES BY PROGRAM TERM
- June 1st: Fall, Fall Break, and Academic Year
- November 1st: Spring, Winter/Spring Break, and Calendar Year
- February 15th: Summer
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD AMOUNTS
The scholarship award amount depends on the duration of the Learning Abroad Program:
- Programs less than 15 days: $500 award
- Programs 15 days-8 weeks: $1000 award
- Programs more than 8 weeks: $1500 award
Students who receive this scholarship are encouraged to participate in Learning Abroad volunteer activities, such as volunteering as the Global U Expo. Please note: not participating in the Learning Abroad Volunteer Activities will not revoke your scholarship.
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
The Learning Abroad Handbook
outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.