The program takes place in Kiel, a modern city on a beautiful inlet of the Baltic Sea, near the Danish border. Berlin, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen are within easy reach, and an overnight boat trip takes you to Oslo, Norway, or Gothenburg, Sweden. Participants will take courses at Christian-Albrechts-Universität (CAU) in Kiel. The curriculum includes language and culture courses from beginning to advanced levels. Courses are taught by experienced German language teachers and native speakers from the Kiel/Hamburg area. Students work with German tutors (usually students at the University in Kiel), who engage program participants in many extracurricular activities such as cooking, sports, and attending events around the city. Upper-level students participating in the service-learning course (Germ 3950) will serve in various charitable organizations around the city such as the sailor mission, the refugee center, after school activities, and camps for school-aged children. Students in the program will be able to use the sports facilities of the CAU, including sailing and windsurfing. The Intensive German Language program will fulfill the BA Language Requirement and the International Studies major requirements. For even more information, visit this page
- Available credit(s): 6-8 credits
- Applicants are required to enroll in 2 of the program courses
- Please consult with your Faculty Director and Academic Advisor to determine course enrollment
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
- Possible excursions may include:
- Medieval city of Lübeck
- Weekend trip to Berlin
- Half-day excursions around Kiel (including sailing)
- Various sightseeing trips with tutors and instructors
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet
above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options
. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program
and receive special recognition at graduation.
This program automatically earns the Language Immersion Badge:
- As part of the program, students concentrate on improving language skills and understanding the interaction between culture and language.
- Students will have the opportunity to practice using these skills in a variety of authentic and challenging settings.
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
The Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.