Take courses at a prestigious university in China: Nankai University in Tianjin. The curriculum consists of 6 weeks of intensive study of Chinese language and culture. Language courses are offered at all levels, beginning through advanced. You will be taking 20 hours a week of language instruction and 6 hours a week in cultural lectures. Lecture topics include Peking Opera, tai chi, calligraphy, history, cuisine, and traditional music. Language courses will be taught in Chinese while cultural lectures will be taught in English.
- Available credit(s): 6-8 credits
- Applicants are required to enroll in two of the program courses (Undergraduate)
- Please consult with your Faculty Director and Academic Advisor to determine course enrollment
- Courses are subject to change
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
- Possible excursions may include:
- Great Wall near Tianjin (Huang ya guan)
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet
above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options
. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program
and receive special recognition at graduation.
This program automatically earns the Language Immersion Badge:
- As part of the program, students concentrate on improving language skills and understanding the interaction between culture and language.
- Students will have the opportunity to practice using these skills in a variety of authentic and challenging settings.
- Fusheng Wu
- Director of the Confucius Institute, Professor of Languages and Literature
- College of Humanities
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
The Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.