Participants will work and interact with professional groups who are re-envisioning how to use social work interactions to treat clients, while filming on-site experiences. Participants can expect to complete readings about social welfare service delivery in Mongolia and identify a specific project, completed both in Utah and Mongolia. While in Utah, students will conduct literature searches and provide a brief summary about the designated project.
- Available credit(s): 3 credits
- Program course begins Fall semester and concludes after the Learning Abroad program
- Applicants are required to enroll in the program course
- Click on the Courses Offered link above for more information, including prerequisites
- Possible excursions may include:
- Buddhist Temple
- Open Market in Ulaanbaatar
- Dinner in a Ger
- Listen to the music of traditional Mongolian singers
- Winter and Summer Palaces
LEARNING ABROAD BADGES
In addition to taking classes, students enrich their time abroad by participating in Learning Abroad Badge opportunities such as, Career Development, Language Immersion, Research Experience, and Community Engagement:
The Learning Abroad Badges listed in the Fact Sheet
above are included in this program. Some programs offer opportunities to earn additional Learning Abroad Badges through independent options
. Students interested in earning multiple Learning Abroad Badges can participate in the Global U Program
and receive special recognition at graduation.
This program automatically earns the Community Engagement Badge:
- Students work with local law enforcement and the Ministry of Justice to address conditions that impact community safety. Past projects included assisting homeless children, work with victims of domestic violence, and improving conditions in youth and adult prisons.
- Students will have the opportunity to interact with local leaders and learn unique ways of addressing common challenges.
- Jerry Buie, MSW
- Pamela Seager (Out of Office 5/26 - 6/6)
- See Housing Type(s) above
- Participants are required to use the program housing facilities
- Housing is included in the program cost
- Click on the Budget Sheet link above for information about ESTIMATED costs
- Participants should read the full Withdrawal Penalty Policy BEFORE applying
- Scholarships are available for Degree-Seeking, University of Utah students
- Financial Aid might apply, visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information
LEARNING ABROAD HANDBOOK
The Learning Abroad Handbook outlines the University of Utah's eligibility requirements, financial policies, conduct standards, administrative procedures, academic expectations, as well as visa and passport guidelines for Learning Abroad Programs. ALL participants are subject to the rules and regulations in the Learning Abroad Handbook. It is every participant's responsibility to read the Learning Abroad Handbook and contact Learning Abroad with any questions.